Posts tagged Burntwood
Burntwood High Street was transformed into a Push Kart track last Saturday (16th July 2016) as hundreds of townsfolk braved the unseasonal drizzly weather to see teams of 3 and 4 take to the Tarmac in their individually designed and built karts and race each other to decide the various categories that were being decided on the day.
Local heroes Craig and Chris Danby took a break from their global travels on robotic adventures to show the crowds their new robot FOXIC which will feature soon on the new series of Robot Wars on BBC2 later this month. Cllr Pam Stokes Vice Chairman of Burntwood Town Council who engaged local company KP Events to organise the event was around to give out the prizes and get showered in the champagne Grand Prix style as she handed out trophies.
The winners were Team Helmets, second were Wolf Pack and third were The Forresters.
Other category winners were; Speed Demons winners: Wolf Pack. Best Dressed Kart winners: Burntwood Road Sweepers. Best Crash winners: Rawlings Tyres.
Kevin Wilson of KP Events was delighted with how things turned out; “The weather wasn’t great but the crowds were brilliant, the teams really joined in the fun and gave them some brilliant action and above all, everyone involved really bought into what we were trying to do; provide free entertainment on a summer’s afternoon in Burntwood”.
WORLD’S SHORTEST FUN RUN FUN FEAST!!
They came from far and wide, from Kansas USA and Cornwall and from Lichfield, Birmingham and Tamworth but mainly Burntwood in Staffordshire. Why?
The 2nd WORLD’S SHORTEST FUN RUN and it attracted hundreds to the UK’s smallest park, Prince’s Park in Burntwood today to help raise money for the local WeLoveLichfield charity fund.
The Virgin Active “World’s Shortest Fun Run” World Record Attempt in aid of the Local Charity “We Love Lichfield Fund”, around Princes Park, Burntwood
SPECTACULAR KARTS SUCCESS!!
The people of Burntwood turned out in their hundreds to welcome the first ever BURNTWOOD WAKES PUSH KART DERBY in the town to celebrate the return of the Burntwood Wakes Festival in 2015.
An array of multi-coloured multi-faceted karts skilfully designed and manufactured by people from Burntwood Lions, Speedway Motorcycles, Burntwood Leisure Centre, InLife Web design and a host of local individuals. They turned Sankeys Corner into a Kart Track from midday with spectators lining the Cannock Road four or more deep in places to encourage the kart pushers, pullers and drivers to more and more effort and the thrills and spills excitement as the timetable of sprints head to heads, time trials and slalom runs unfolded in the bright afternoon sunshine.
Chris and Craig Danby from Burntwood and the founders of TEAM DANBY their brainchild robot design business now famous for their exploits on the global Robot Wars circuit were present as Technical consultants and they were involved in the prize giving and judging along with Cllr Pamela Stokes Chair of Burntwood Town Council.
The winning teams and categories were as follows;
- Best in Show: Team Minions
- Best Crash: Team Inspire
- Speed Demons: Fat Boy Jim
- Best Overall Kart: Fat Boy Jim
- Second Best Overall: Burntwood Lions
- Third Best Overall: Wolf Pack
- Fourth Best Overall: InLife
Kevin Wilson of organisers KP Events was delighted with the outcome;
“Whenever you organise a new event you are always nervous as to how things will turn out but today things conspired; good weather, great enthusiastic teams, big crowd, phenomenal atmosphere to make it a truly brilliant event for Burntwood and we’ll be back bigger and better next year!!!”
Cllr Pamela Stoke Chair of Burntwood Town Council was also thrilled with how the event went;
“I was delighted with the first Push Kart Derby at Sankey’s Corner as part of this year Burntwood Wakes Festival. It was wonderful to see so many people turn out to enjoy this event, which included its fair share of thrills and spills!” She added “I’d like to thank KP Events for organising this event, and I’m pleased that everything went well”
You can view a video slideshow of photos here.
The Burntwood Wakes Push-Kart Derby – 8th Aug 2015, Supported by Burntwood Town Council, 11 a.m. – 5pm.
Event starts 2 years, 5 months, 15 days, 8 hours, 43 minutes, 21 seconds ago
Venue: Burntwood High Street Sankey’s Corner / Burntwood Shopping Centre.
Course: Two adjacent flat 100m straight runs for non-powered karts which can be pushed or pulled.
Technical Consultants / Judges: Chris and Craig Danby of team Danby Burntwood based Robot Combat Team, stars of TV’s own Robot Wars.
Entry Fee: £5 per team and all proceeds go to local charities.
- Junior teams, schools and child based teams/youth groups scouts etc.
- Individual family and friend based teams “shedheads”
- Corporate teams, any companies who want to enter or rather teams representing a company.
Various to include:
- Best dressed push kart
- Best technical design soap box
- Fastest push kart
- Best team
- Teams can consist of any number of people BUT in the race element there has to be the nominated driver and 3 push/pullers maximum.
- The push kart must have steering.
- The push kart must have brakes.
- The push kart must be no bigger than but may be smaller than 2m long by 1.5m wide and 1.2m tall.
- Any cover/body must be firmly attached to the push kart and considered to be safe on inspection.
- The push kart should be made strong enough to withstand several runs of the designated course.
- The push kart must have 4 wheels.
- Drivers must remain seated at all times during the event and seats must be securely attached to the push kart.
- The minimum driver age is 14 years old.
- All push karts will be subjected to scrutiny for suitability and safety to take part, before being given a competition entry number. The competition will be based on a time trial event, you will race down the course a set number of times and the team with the lowest combined time will win.
- All drivers must wear helmets and be fully covered (long sleeves and full length trousers) to be allowed to run the course.
UPDATE 27th July 2015 – PUSH KART DERBY NEARS…
It’s nearly time for the Burntwood Wakes Push Derby and the team from Burntwood Leisure Centre and Speedway Motorcycles are hard at it welding, bending and hearing bits of metal to form their wondrous creation (see photo below). There’s ttill time to get your team involved, so come on kart builders everywhere.